It is hard to believe but these lads first met way back 72 years ago in September 1947 within the walls of St. Helen’s House in Derby and are all therefore reaching or have already reached their 83rd year. The day kindly dawned a little cloudy but importantly dry and relatively warm, enough to all sit outside in the hotels covered porch partaking of several of the interesting range of their own locally brewed beers or those from Derby itself.
As per usual partaking from an excellent lunch menu it is this unchanging nature of these lifelong friendships, which all began 72 years ago in our beloved alma mater, namely Derby School, long may they continue. Due to another commitment the OD Society’s archivist Barrie Sheard arrived somewhat later and endeavoured to update those interested in the latest happenings with both the OD Society, with Derby Grammar School and of course the shocking vandalism of the 1925 built Parker’s Piece Pavilion. To think this 90-year-old building beloved by hundreds of school boy sports men should now be readily the receiver of modern attack from people who have no concept of Derby’s history or born to be proud Derby citizens!
Report by Russ Jones (1947 Reunion Coordinator) and Barrie Sheard (OD Society Archivist)