Continuing their research our three archivists, namely Andrew, Barrie, and Maurice recently undertook a working lunch and tour of the National Memorial Arboretum (NMA) in Alrewas, Staffordshire.
Following their usual practice, they regularly meet together every 3 to 4 months to both consider and undertake future research work that needs to be undertaken on behalf of the OD Society. Obviously, the recent finding of 93 Kedleston Road in Derby where they found it had been built in the 1880s as an annexe for 25 pupils who were school boarders has been top of their agenda. Plans were also made where to concentrate their studies into 2020.
It is hoped to be in a position to announce the culmination of their major 2019 research work undertaken once we get to mid to late Autumn. SO WATCH THIS SPACE.
The latest Derbeian Magazine containing an article by our archivist, Barrie Sheard.
(Our appreciation to The Derbeian management for allowing us to include these pages.)
It is hard to believe but these lads first met way back 72 years ago in September 1947 within the walls of St. Helen’s House in Derby and are all therefore reaching or have already reached their 83rd year. The day kindly dawned a little cloudy but importantly dry and relatively warm, enough to all sit outside in the hotels covered porch partaking of several of the interesting range of their own locally brewed beers or those from Derby itself.
As per usual partaking from an excellent lunch menu it is this unchanging nature of these lifelong friendships, which all began 72 years ago in our beloved alma mater, namely Derby School, long may they continue. Due to another commitment the OD Society’s archivist Barrie Sheard arrived somewhat later and endeavoured to update those interested in the latest happenings with both the OD Society, with Derby Grammar School and of course the shocking vandalism of the 1925 built Parker’s Piece Pavilion. To think this 90-year-old building beloved by hundreds of school boy sports men should now be readily the receiver of modern attack from people who have no concept of Derby’s history or born to be proud Derby citizens!
Report by Russ Jones (1947 Reunion Coordinator) and Barrie Sheard (OD Society Archivist)
Yes, gentlemen, the OD Society are now the proud holders of the original CCF Ceremonial Sword and Scabbard as worn during all official parades of the OTC, JTC and CCF from the early 1900s until 1973 when the CCF was disbanded.
The last holder of the sword Mike Foulke as the RAF Commanding Officer at the Moorway Lane site has so very kindly donated it to the OD Society.
By scrolling the images below you will find details about some of the fallen on our memorial situated at St. Helen’s House.
The post gives further information about some of the names on the memorial and also images of their gravestones in the various cemeteries in Derby and further afield.
These images have been reproduced here by courtesy of Derbyshire War Memorials and Flickr.
To head over to Flickr use the following link: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmyofPPW