A sad task indeed, but one which we feel our members appreciate.
In the future, where possible, we will add an obituary with a photo of any Old Derbeian who passes, subject to permission from the surviving family or next of kin, of course.
The new page can be found in the members’ area and we feel the design is far better suited to the subject matter.
The date for the Annual Dinner has now been set as Saturday 22nd June 2019 at The Grange Banqueting Suite, Burton Road Derby.
The new date in June rather than November, as in previous years, is to hopefully attract more members and guests and also allow younger members of the society together with students, former students and staff of DGS to be able to attend.
Please make a note in your diary and further information will be posted nearer the date.
A lively meeting for the AGM and the first convening of the committee going forward for 2019. Nice to see DGS represented by Head of Sixth Form, Karen Stebbings, and our two pupils from the school representing the society.
Much was discussed about the future of the society and its events etc. which will be sent out to the membership in due course. Thanks to the committee members who volunteered to complete another year in their respective offices, we know its a labour of love, but it is well appreciated by all in the society.
By way of an update to all site visitors. We have been experiencing problems with our main Contact Form on the site which was not displaying an email address for us to reply to. This has now been fixed so if you have tried to contact us and have not received a reply then please resubmit your enquiry.
Our apologies for the problems.
Graham – Webmaster
For the sake of clarity, as some members are finding difficulty in accessing the members’ area on this site:
- When you load the site in your chosen browser, navigate the side menu to Members Area.
- Single click the menu and the password entry page will appear.
- Type in the password you have been given in the light grey box as requested on the page.
- You will then have access to the members’ area and in particular the members’ directory.
Should any member have difficulty or have lost the password, please email our webmaster Graham at email@example.com who will be more than happy to assist .
We have recently uncovered an amazing unknown Scrap Book written by an old OD, namely that of Richard Berwyn Wilmshurst who was at Derby School from 1910 to 1913. Plus Preparatory Section of Derby School 1903 to 1910.
After being archivist since 2009 (10 years) I believe this is the best find yet. Where was it found? In a cardboard Storage Box stored at DGS above the stage in the Michael Bishop Hall. One never knows what may be around that corner!
- Do you fancy yourself as a bit of a wordsmith?
- Got an article to write but not found the right forum?
- Want to share old school thoughts or memories with others?
Well now is your chance to get writing and submitting it to win a prize through the Old Derbeian Society.
- You must have been a student or member of staff at the Derby School or Derby Grammar School.
- The article should be no more than 500 words
- It must be your own work.
- Submissions should be in MS Word or PDF format
- Closing date is 31st March 2019
- The committee will judge the entries and the winners’ names and entries placed on this and the DGS website.
……and that’s it – so get writing
Oh! forgot to say that the prizes include an Old Derbeian Society Tie or Ladies Scarf.
We now have 3 old blazer badges in our archives thanks to OD – David Redshaw. The badges were worn between 1958-1963
A very interesting article received from DGS about a former pupil returning to take a masterclass in drumming with music students.
Read the full article here